Saturday, February 19, 2011

Is Wedding Fit . . .

. . . like being Prison Fit? In the sense that one is pumping iron under pressure?

Here are my thoughts on weddings and weight loss, which are pretty similar to my thoughts on weddings and weaves. . . .  Why are we expected to do everything in our power to look like someone completely different on our wedding day?

There is incredible pressure to jump on that bandwagon.  The presence of weight loss advertisements on wedding websites and weight loss discussions are just part of the package.  I didn't realize how much until I became a member of the Offbeat Bride Tribe.  Over there discussions about wedding weight loss are strictly verboten.  The absence of advertisements and discussions makes spending time on the tribe so much less stressful than cruising other websites that it was really kind of shocking.

What bothers me most about those discussions and advertisements is that they all approach weight loss on a purely aesthetic basis.  It's all about looking great on your big day.  I find that approach shallow and decidedly unhealthy.  As a plus size girl myself, I definitely feel the pressure.  As a matter of fact, I spent days before my first dress shopping trip agonizing about my fat back.  Worrying about how I look however, reminded me that it's more important to focus on how I feel.

I don't want to call myself a drama queen, but . . .  totally.  I get anxious.  I worry.  I stress.  And stress makes me feel like shit.  Stress gives me headaches.  Stress makes me depressed and tired and whiny.  Stress makes me EAT like eating is going out of style.  In other words, worrying about my weight makes me forget about my total health.

Not a good look.

Am I trying to lose weight? Yes.  Is it for the wedding specifically? No.  There is life beyond the wedding and I want to fully participate in it on my terms.  To do that, I need to be healthy.

My goal for my wedding day is to look like myself.  A better than usual version . . . but still myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive