Thursday, March 17, 2011

Keeping It Simple

If you follow the blogs and youtube and all that jazz you learn one thing and one thing quickly. 
Source  
Natural hair is work.

If you are going to do it right . . .  there's the pre-pooing, the oil treatment, the hours long detangling sessions that should only be done in the shower under running water because well . . . we don't have to pay for all that water we're wasting.  Then there is the deep conditioning which the truly dedicated do overnight and the hennaing if you're so inclined and the hysteria about heat damage and never ever flat-ironing . . .

And a word about products.  Generally speaking if it costs under five dollars it will DESTROY your hair.  Yeah you can play with Herbal Essences or Aussie, or well if you must VO5.  Shampoo?  Stop playing.  But what natural hair really needs is natural products from boutique online retailers, the more obscure the better.  I mean, if you aren't up on game sure you can go to Target and shell out ten to fifty dollars on some Sheamoisture or Kinky Curly or Miss Jessie's . . . but that's not really where it's at. 

And . . . I'm over it.

Not over natural hair.  I like how much healthier and stronger my hair is now, but I am very much over the high maintenance routine.  One it's not required for hair health and growth and I'm convinced some of it might be harmful.  Two, it's not like I can actually afford it.  I like to keep it simple and trying to sleep in henna or trying to deep condition forever and a day is not simple for me.

I still try new styles and methods but I'm done contemplating spending more money on more products.  I stocked up on VO5 conditioner because it only costs about $0.79 per bottle.  Yes, it has cones.  No, I don't care.  I use shampoo pretty regularly.  I can't stand not too.  I'm done with attempting a wash and go because this time of year my hair just won't dry.  More to the point, I'm done trying to make my hair look a way that it doesn't look.  It's curly in sections and fuzzy and kinky everywhere else and that's okay.

And that's pretty much it.  Short, simple, natural?  Isn't that how it's supposed to be?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive