Monday, May 23, 2011

Love in Real Life-How We Met

I always feel this moment of awkwardness when people ask the whole "so how did you two meet" question.  Why?  Because Wes and I met online and people still kind of give us the side eye.  Like . . "oh y'all met online? Hope he's not crazy."  Usually I just try to gloss over it to forestall the whole "Reeeeeeaaaaaalllly?" response that I usually get.  Mostly because it then becomes a way more involved story than "oh, we met in college, blah, blah, blah."

In any case, it has been almost three years and I can safely say he's no crazier than the rest of us and definitely not crazier than me.

I wonder why this kind of socially awkward weirdness even exists.  I mean, people meet online all the time right?  Or so those match.com commercials would have us believe.  I actually know a few people who have developed real relationships this way.  It's so normal now that it's not actually weird, yet . . . the weirdness.

In an effort to get over my own awkwardness I have decided to just lay it all out there.  I actually considered writing this out and using the text as the background for our wedding invitations.  Since I can't seem to resist telling this one for comic effect, though, I decided to save it for some other forum.  Like our wedding website.  And, potentially, our wedding programs.

It goes a little something like this. . .

Love in Real Life

Boy met girl . . . at the Mall.

Actually, we met on Myspace but that sounds a little skeezy. It was completely innocent though, or as innocent as a gentlemen complementing a young lady's picture on Myspace can be. We emailed back and forth for a week or so, then moved over to Yahoo Messenger for another couple of weeks before the fateful moment.

Picture it, September 1, 2008 at the Northwest Arkansas Mall in Fayetteville. It was Labor Day, neither of us had to work, and we were both supremely bored.

It was an "eh, why not" moment.

We decided to meet for the first time in real life at the mall. You know, just in case either of us turned out to be ax murderers or dirty old men. I met Wes at the bookstore. We were both wearing red shirts and glasses. He was bald and not necessarily on purpose-think George Jefferson.  I was wearing a headband in a vain attempt to disguise the fact that some of my twists were missing in the back.

And, this is funny. As it turns out, neither one of us has ever killed anyone.

The rest, as they say, is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive