Thursday, May 26, 2011

Project Wedding Dress-Fitting the Skirt

My last update concerned creating my custom dress form.

I've already put it to use and I have to say-it's awesome.

I reattached the bodice to the skirt and placed it on the form to check the fit.  My major goal in fitting the skirt was matching up the side seams.  I will need to add more fabric in the skirt front to make that work.

You can kind of see how I did that in the center front.  I slashed the skirt muslin and and spread it until the sides fit the way I wanted them.  Then I covered the slash with as scrap of muslin that I taped into place.  (Yeah, I'm professional like that)

Check it out.


It's actually starting to look like a wedding dress right?

Now that I am pretty much done fitting the bodice, I started experimenting with where I'll place the detailing.  My inspiration dress has a pleated cummerbund that circles the waist.  I taped some fabric in the front to get an idea of what that might look like.


I also need to shape the upper edge of the bodice.  These curves definitely need smoothing.


Once I work out the kinks on this muslin, I'll take it apart and use it to redraw the pattern pieces.   I also have plans, probably really over-ambitious ones, to add an inner corsolette for further support, steel boning in the lining, and maybe button looping on the back closure.

Then, I'll probably make another muslin, this one nearly complete so that I can practice some of the detailing and finishing techniques I would like to use and perfect the fit closer to the wedding date.  I will also experiment with a sleeve option involving lace.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive