Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Feathering the Nest: Ephemera Walls

I have been working really hard at living in Savannah and trying to like it.  

Sometimes this feels impossible in an apartment covered in flat paint (!) in what looks like a custom shade of dingy white that has been aging ungracefully since the seventies.  I'm making peace with living in Savannah and I am making peace with living in our apartment by slowly, very slowly, living in it.  (Groundbreaking!)  

Seriously-in many ways, our apartment is just a place we sleep in, briefly, before getting back on the road to somewhere and something else.  It isn't a place we draw any particular joy or comfort from.  It isn't a place we want to spend much time in.  These are ideal attributes for places that discourage loiterers.  It's not what you want from your home.

Focusing more time and attention on feathering the nest is slowly starting to change that.


My favorite inexpensive decoration in our place is the ephemera wall.  The calendar I use to keep track of our various work schedules was looking a little lonely.  Leftover pushpins, a $3 box of small binder clips from Target, and various photos, postcards, art work, and paper ephemera has made for an interesting, colorful, and ever-growing display.  It is also relatively low damage-all of this stuff is hung with pushpins.  (Cause I just don't give a f&*$@)  You could just as easily use poster putty or sticky tak-the less gangsta and more rental-friendly option.  (Fun fact: I actually have an unopened package of sticky tak in the same drawer I got the pushpins from.  I am HARDCORE)

My favorite pieces are my stepson's watercolor drawing of a bat, the Arkansas sticker which I loved so much I included it twice, and the card from an old school library card catalog.  It's from a Ted Dekker book.  Never read him.  From the details on the card, probably won't.  I just love the nostalgia factor.
I also love the Fannie Lou Hamer print and quote.  It's not really visible in this image, but this print is just a color copy of a pin from Pinterest.  11x17 posters are available for purchase from the original website and I am going to replace my bootleg version with the real deal.  It's just too good.  The quote says, ""Sometimes it seem like to tell the truth today is to run the risk of being killed. But if I fall, I'll fall five feet four inches forward in the fight for freedom. I'm not backing off."

"I'm not backing off."  Damn right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive