So . . . this has become an ordeal. First, voila
|That face probably tells you all you need to know.|
I finally finished this damn dress. Guys. . . just. . . whatever.
Here is my review.
Pattern Description: Misses dress in three lengths with neckline and sleeve variations.
Pattern Sizing: Misses sizes 4-20
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the cute sleeve variations. I do not like the whole size zipper into a pocket thing these Cynthia Rowley patterns seem to dig on. I also did not like the proportions of the finished product. I liked the sleeves of view B, but with my
Fabric Used: Rayon blend
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I did a full bust adjustment and added a few inches to the sides, waist, and skirt to make the pattern fit my body. I outline that saga with a few cusswords and excruciating detail here and also here. I also lengthened the bodice an inch and a half to make the bodice less empire and installed a center back zipper instead of a side zipper.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will sew this again, mostly because I am not terribly happy with my first finished product and the potential for really cute dress-ness is still there.
Conclusion: I really like the idea of this dress still, but so far not the dress I made.
My specific points of contention with this finished product are as follows:
I love these sleeves but. . .
- They add too much bulk to my upper body silhouette.
- They are also much too puffy to layer comfortably, that goes for both variations.
- The sleeve band is too snug for comfort.
- The armsyce is weird. (I don't know why or what I even mean here either)
- The neckline gaps a little, against all odds really.
- The waistband is still tilted! Keep in mind that I picked the entire thing apart and re-cut the bodice to correct this issue.
I did make some tweaks to make it more wearable. I removed the original sleeves and re-cut the sleeve lining from view A to make simple cap sleeves instead. These sleeves will fit inside a jacket or cardigan which is good because my quick and dirty waistline leveling fix on the back of this dress is far from attractive.
Ultimately, I am giving in on this version of the dress. I think I made some mistakes here that, even if corrected and executed perfectly, would not result in a staple wardrobe garment. It's not bad at all. I've already worn it out once and to a job interview at that. . . but I don't love it.