Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Going Primal Breakfast Style


(Adapted from Breakfast Supreme by Laurie Harms available here from allrecipes.com)

I love breakfast.  I really hate waking up and cooking it. 

Last year I discovered this lovely thing called the breakfast casserole.  You bake it, much like your average lagagna, and you have food that can be cut into squares and microwaved at your leisure.

Most of the recipes that I’ve come across are a little heavy and robust for summer but since the mornings have started to get a bit nippy I figured now was as good a time as any to bring back the breakfast casserole.

All Images are My Own
And can I say . . . thank God!  We’ve burned up half a pack of bacon in the last two days and ended up at the Waffle House in defeat.  Not affordable or sustainable.

Here’s how I cooked it. 

You will need:
  • 1 pound pork sausage
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 green bellpepper, chopped
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese
  • 12 eggs (I know!)
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon (or to taste) maple syrup

Here’s what you do
  • In a large skillet, I used our cast iron chicken fryer, add butter, sausuage, ground beef, bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms.  Drizzle with a little maple syrup.  Brown over medium heat until meat is mostly brown.
  • Drain
  • Prepare a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.  You might want to give it a light spray with cooking oil.  I lined ours with aluminum foil . . . because I’m lazy.  Seriously all it is for is to keep me from having to wash the pan later.
  • Beat eggs
  • Add a layer of cheese to the bottom of pan, then add eggs.
  • Add the sausage mixture
  • Drizzle with heavy cream
  • Top with remaining cheese

At this point you have two options.  You can store the casserole in the refrigerator overnight for baking in the morning, or you can go ahead and cook it.

Cooking Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Bake for forty minutes or until eggs have set.
  • Remove from oven and let stand for ten minutes. 
  • Slice, spoon, fork and serve!

It might not be pretty-but it sure is tasty!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive