Friday, August 10, 2012

Thoughts On The Interview


I wore my plain three button, three quarter sleeve black suit with an electric blue shell underneath and some black pumps.

One of the other candidates wore this. . .

Source
It was even more awesome in person.  The interview bar has been raised.

I wish I could report that I rocked the interview, that my natural awesomeness was glaringly, blindingly obvious, and that they offered me the job on the spot.

Totally didn’t happen.

I was pretty authentically me which I was pleased about.  However, I honestly have no idea how it went.  My perspective on this issue is completely shot.
  • As far as I could tell, they interviewed at least seven people for the position.  Most of them lived in Savannah or went to Armstrong or lived nearby and at least three were certified in multiple areas and two had previously taught in private schools. 
  • The interviews were running an hour or so late.
  • My cell phone alarm went off in the beginning, but the principal's phone kept going off too so I don't feel so bad about that.
  • I handed over a print portfolio and they all actually looked through it so that's gratifying.
  • They asked me if I would be willing to relocate but I don't know if that means enough to justify getting my hopes up.
  • I was interviewed by a three person panel which is always tricky.  I think I did a good job making eye contact with everyone. 
  • The group dynamic was really nice.  I got the impression that they all work really well together and that they support one another. 
  •  I thought I asked some really nice questions that came with the kind of answers that had the unfortunate side effect of making me want to throw myself on my knees and go "pick me, pick me, pick me.  PLEASE!" 

They also love their students and that really comes across as well.  The neighborhood the school sits in has its challenges, but the school itself is such a place of positivity.  I just want to soak that in.

I told Wes that I’ve never been this nervous before a job interview before, like maybe-going-to-toss-my-cookies-in-the-Kroger-parking-lot nervous.  That’s probably because I never interviewed for a job I wanted so badly before.  I can’t explain it but when we drove though that part of the city yesterday I felt this overwhelming desire to make it my place.

I won’t know until I know how it really went-but here’s hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive